I had promised that there would be some Pinterest DIY attempts on my blog so here is my first one. This week we made our own humming bird feeders out of the hundreds (literally I have at least a hundred) wine bottles that I have saved. Every year I buy a new humming bird feeder just to have it leak all over the place and get filled with ants in a week. How the ants get in there is beyond me, but they always do. Anyways, this year I figured we would see if the DIY ones held up better.
First we (I say we because I let my oldest help me) picked out three different bottles to use. Then we soaked our bottles to take the labels off of them. This was the easiest time I had taking the labels off and I think it was for a combination of things. First I used really hot water, dish soap and baking soda and let it sit for about 2 hours. I then went back when the water was still warm and was able to peel most of the labels right off. For the really sticky stuff I used dish soap and my Norwex netted dish cloth to remove what was left. I’m betting it was the warm water and dish cloth combo that made things so easy.
We then decided to add some paint to make the bottles fun. I only had regular craft paint so I will have to update you with how that lasts outside but I have a feeling it will wash off after the few first hard rains. (Guess which one is Raylan’s)
Then came adding the wire to hang the bottles from. I found mine off of Amazon, a //ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ac&ref=tf_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=thefe0c-20&marketplace=amazon®ion=US&placement=B000BP7WH8&asins=B000BP7WH8&linkId=30d797247f168c9a0562fa70d5917247&show_border=false&link_opens_in_new_window=false&price_color=333333&title_color=0066c0&bg_color=ffffff” target=”_blank”>basic 16 gauge craft wire. If you are going to do this I would definitely recommend going with a thicker wire (smaller numbered gauge). While it was really easy to manipulate it also isn’t very strong and it took some figuring out to how to make it actually hold the bottles. By the third one I finally figured out a good system.
Next was making the sugar water and adding the feeder tubes. It took me a few tries to figure out why the tubes weren’t staying in the bottles, it was because you need a back pressure to suction them in, meaning you needed to fill the bottles full to the top with the sugar water. If I make these again in the future I think I will find smaller bottles.
Once that was done we found spots to hang them (Raylan wanted his by his train) and are now waiting for the birds to come! It’s been a rainy few days but if we get some humming birds I will have to post pictures for you guys.